Hey folks. It's deep into October already.
I'm trying to collect my thoughts to post, but I'm having trouble catagorizing. Chronologically will be best, I guess. I think my time versus, say, Tori's has been doing like England versus Narnia. It feels like just a couple days and then I realize 3 weeks have past. Only, I feel more like I've been in Narnia than boring England. No offence to England...I just mean compared to adventures in another world. Maybe tessering is a better way to describe my time warp.
Of course, the majority of what's keeping me running is very like Eustace, Jill, or the Pevensie's English life. School. I'm just not in the Experiment House. Actually. I am. I've been doing Chemistry labs and whatnot.
Let's see. Last time I posted My Aunt Jammie was here. She brought me some pics of my great grandmother that I have...umm...inherited(?) an unfinished quilt from; that way, when I finish the quilt I'll be able to maybe fix a label or scrapbook page or something to go with it. Sort of an heirloom thing. I should post pics of the blocks. They're really scrappy and old, but they're cool.
Somewhere around there I had a 4-H meeting, planning for a float we're going to make for the Peanut Festival here in Whitesboro. Several new people showed up, and it was sort of(major understatement) hectic. Awful to take meeting minutes for. I still haven't braved the task of sorting my notes into an official report. Bad, bad, bad.
Something else happened in there, I'm sure, but the next thing I can think of is Aunt Jammie stopped back by on the way back to Ohio. She stayed several days. It was fun, but I'm suffering for it now because I just crammed in all my schoolwork and didn't do extra reviewing and all that good stuff. Just the, ahem, necessities. Now I'm have that crazy song in my head.
She and Mom went and got fabric for a quilt she's going to make. It's got embroideries of the 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed all over it, and so Mom's going to do that for her with her machine. (ouch, a bunch of hers and shes in there. Puzzle it out. I need to hurry. lol Aunt Jammie's making the quilt, Mom's embroidering. Maybe that helps.)
We also went to Main St. and went in antique shops, or tried to, they were mostly closed, so Mom and Aunt Jammie went back the next day while I was in school--the same day they got the fabric. Are you confused now?
That afternoon, as soon as they got back, Mom took me to the supermarket and little hardware store. I got those big, round, thumper balloons and masking tape, and then 2 girls from 4-H came over and we made a papermache peanut. He's like 3 feet tall, I guess. We hooked the two balloons together and smothered them in newspaper and floury-water. Mom put cinnamon in the gunk. It was rather entertaining spending 2 1/2 hours slathering a peanut-to-be in gooky newspaper, surrounded by the aroma of cinnamon. I guess the correct term is paper mache paste, but Elizabeth called it blubber. That's more accurate, because when it starts cooling, it's no longer pasty--it turns into jelled stuff. Now he's drying out completely so I can paint him on Monday. He looks rather amusing because we made his last layers with paper towels, whichpaint better than newspaper, and the only paper towels we had had autumn leaves all over them. lol
On Wed. afternoon, I had to go to the fair to enter my quilt. I actually meant to enter a jacket, but I ran out of thread, and didn't have time to go get more thread and get lining fabric, because we have to go all the way to Sherman for Jo-Anns, and we didn't happen to need to go to Sherman for any other reason. So, my Dad was like, "Just enter your quilt you made for the fair in Laredo." So I did. (You can enter any quilt you've made in the last 5 years.) Except, I'd machine sewn the binding and it looked horrendous, so I ripped that out and handsewed it on. Took ages!
Since we were in Sherman anyway, we stopped by Walmart and got groceries, so I didn't get home until later and it was Wedneday, like I said. So, another very crammed school day. After church Mom and I didn't get back as soon as Dad, because she found a set of dishes in Walmart that she wants for her china cabinet, and they didn't have enough in Sherman to fill the whole thing, and she needed to go ahead and get all the sets because people are buying the design up like hotcakes. So, we stopped in the Gainesville Wally-World on the way home and got another set. When we walked in, Dad was like "How did the quilt judging go?" And Mom and I were like, "You're not allowed to stay and watch." (You could in Laredo.) Then Dad goes, "Well, then, it won." I was like "You're kidding. How pitiful." I mean, I was pulling strings out of the thing on the way into the craft building, and then it gets best of show. Sad show. Anyway. So I get a pretty purple ribbon. lol There were some really cool quilts in there though. I don't know how mine got best overall???
Then last night our club worked the concession stand at the fair from 6:30-9:00. Which actually ended up being until about 10 because of cleaning up. And then the drive home from Sherman, which is like 20 min, except we stopped in at Walmart again. For trashbags, greenbeans and milk. Unique combo. And we picked up a box of sugarcookie tea. Doesn't that sound awesome? If it tastes like it smells...yummy. I love hot tea.
So. Tori, I have improved my brain cells! I learned how to run a cash register last night. Aren't you proud of math-deficient me. I had to be super careful because it went kooky twice. Like, someone ordered a coke and a bag of chips or something and it said they owed 36.50! Weirdo. After that I was all jittery because I was spooked I was going to charge someone too much. It was fun despite.
So now, I need to go. Like, I said. My school is all backlogged. And of all the times, I just got assigned a research paper (actually, for another project, I have to do preliminary research on 3 topics, so I'm just going to flesh one of those out into the complete thing-a-ma-jig), and then my Bible project just popped up, and the several-chapter combined test, and my grammar mid term...
Besides, that I'm halfway through one history chapter and still haven't taken the test for the previous chapter. Don't ask.
Thankfully, I'm ALMOST DONE with my never-ending history project. Yay!
Right now, I'm going to go sew up my block of the month that's due this afternoon or tomorrow morning, and get out my 2 other blocks I need to sew up before quilting class on Tuesday. Then, I'll finish my homework, and go dutifully study Quantum.
Never fear! Columbus Day weekend is here! I'll update in a couple days (seriously ;) and let you know how big of a dent I've made.
Alright. I came up for a breath--time to plunge in again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow! I'm glad I don't have that much school to do. Hey guys she's to modest about her quilting, she's good!:) so where did you work a cash register? Sounds like something we would we do at Papa's shop. ah I want you to come for thanksgiving!!!!!!!! Don't we have so much fun, saving kids from dogs, riding on a really old bike's handle bars and running in the mornings? ah please come! I want to see you soooooooo badly!
lol. wow your fast! usually we have to have an entire petion signed before tori post. busy! i thought i was busy. . .all I do is school, music lessons, forensics, and church stuff. I wish i knew how to do that, i've never even had time to learn how to sow, i mean well. that would be sooo cool! tori, do we have fairs and classes and stuff like that here that i've never heard about?
Ooh yeah, Tori. If we go the weather should be glorious for a morning run. I wanna go!
I haven't been riding any handlebars because I have to man my own pedals. The other day we saw a two-seater going down the road. I was like, THERE IT IS! We ought to have one of those at Memas. Then 4 people can ride. lol
I worked the cash register at the concession stand... Now we can take over Papa's shop. lol I'll run the cash register and you can answer the phone, and we can both stock. haha.
Until someone comes in and asks hardware questions. Man. I just remembered. Can you run the paint machine? Maybe Gracie could do that.
I was actually about to post anyway, you all just gave me some initiative. :D Very bad of me. How is that Patch song? "Initiative, see a task, do it before you're asked!" Something like that.
LoL, Jamie, you're probably as busy(er) as I am, just over different things. I don't have official music lessons(wah), or forensics(cool!), or much church stuff(double wah).
:)
Yep it would be fun. so do you think you will get to come? man, I hope so! It's only like a month away. well I need to go do some stuff. See ya'll. oh and BTW I don't Jamie I'm too busy. :)
now I'm going to cry.
All that sounds so nice and Texany and FUN, and I can remember doing things like that, and I haven't been to Texas in almost FOUR YEARS.
sniff. :(
I'll weep with you...
But exult at the same time because I am still in Texas. Heeheehee.
Sorry.
I'll probably have to live in Maine or somewhere some day. AUGH. Torture.
Texas soooo is the best.
IMO.
lol
Wow. that was a big post. i'm amazed, lindsay. :)
how did your dad know that you won before you did?
Post a Comment