Saturday, September 27, 2008

About Friday

First: about Herman. I'm through with the stirring days. Tomorrow and Monday I'll just let him sit, and then on Tuesday I can finally bake something! Yay!



Last time I posted, my aunt was here. That was fun. :) She dropped by from Thursday night to Friday lunch on her way down from Ohio to my grandparents. I doubled up with school so I wouldn't have a hard day on Friday. Conveniently, Mom forgot to tape my week of U. S. History, so all I had to do was reading and assignments, instead of watching. It's amazing how much less time it takes, but I don't think I learn as much that way though. When I have to read a section, then watch Mrs. Vick talk about it, then do homework on it, it's sort of like learning the same thing 3 times.

Then, Friday night, we went out to some people from church's farm for supper. We got to ride around in their (gas-powered) Mule with the cows, and watch the catfish being fed, and all that sort of stuff. One of the cows was sort of crazy. It was running in circles in front of the Mule. I imagined Banjo chasing it...that would've been interesting. ahem, lol
I've always wished I grew up on a farm. Maybe if I had, I would wish I was a city girl--but I doubt it.

Anyway. The main adventure was actually befor we got there.

We go to church in a town like 20 miles west of us, and then they live like 20 miles west of that, so it was a long drive. We did fine at first, because most of the way is just on the one highway we travel all the time (the way to Wal-mart). Then, once we got past Lindsay( I had to say that, because it's so cool to have a town named after oneself), we had to turn onto another smaller country road, which was fine, and we just kept driving down it. So, so far, I, the map-holder was doing just fine, but about this time I start getting carsick. Why, I don't know. What we should have done, was after a couple miles on that road, turn right onto another road the same size as it, and then left onto the caliche road (340) that led to their house.

Instead, I totally missed that option, and sent Mom straight past that first turn and then diagonally back up a itsy-bitsy road to the back of 340. It was a valid way on the MAP, but on the terra-firma it wasn't. It was more like a tractor path: two grassy ruts with bushes growing up in the middle. So the whole way down it, we could hear the bushes on the bottom of the car and against the sides. I was like "I can get out and hold back the sunflowers while you go through." lol, then we turned a corner, and realized that the house we thought was theirs was actually someone elses, so we had to keep driving. Finally it met up with the main caliche part of the road. YAY!!! They just laughed at us, but they said a lot of people had done that by accident. Dad had to come straight from work, so he of course found the correct way like always. Well, Mom can't say I got her lost. I just took the scenic route. If we'd been in the truck it would've been just fine. Actually it was just fine, because I washed the car today and it was scratch free. Except, of course, certain other pre-existant scratches. :) And the bottom of the car didn't fall out. Mom was like "I can't BELIEVE thump scratch I am doing this....It conk all comes of trying screetch to drive the Queen Mary through scratch thunk back-country roads...."



I did a lot of stuff today, but I already have a long post just from Friday events. Maybe on Monday I'll post about today. lol

18 comments:

Jamie said...

interesting! is you're car's name Queen mary? you had some amazing onomonopias in their, and some good words to. so b/c of something that happened when i was talking to tori today, do you know what the word incompetant means? just curious. :)

Lindsay said...

It's a Crown Victoria, but Mom calls it the Queen Mary because it's so huge. (You know that big British ship that sunk because it was so humongous or something.) When we first got it, we'd had a little old buick before, so Mom was like, "I feel like I'm trying to park the Queen Mary." Ever since then, that's been it's name.

Lindsay said...

Incompetant means you aren't competant...like you aren't qualified or capable of doing something. Am I allowed to know what the conversation was about? lol :)

abswillis said...

haha.
when we went to nebraska, my aunt lived like 10 miles on dirt road out of the city, so we got majorly lost.

Jamie said...

of course. i was sarcastically or jokingly calling tori incompetant, and she's like. "hold on! I know what that means, it was a vocabulary word or something, or it was used to define a vocabulary word or. . . what does it mean?" something along those lines anyways. i laughed. :) I should name our car. poor thing. it doesn't have one. :(

Lindsay said...

Wo, Nebraska has plenty of uncivilized space to get lost in, I'm sure. lol

Awww, poor thing. It must feel so unloved! What kind of car is it?

tori wiginton said...

Jamie! I told you I knew what it meant. it means helpless. ah you are annoying. :)

Lindsay said...

Hmm? It does not mean helpless.

in•com•pe•tent \(')in-"kam-pe-tent\ adjective [MF incompetent, fr. in- + competent competent] (1597)
1 : not legally qualified
2 : inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose
3 a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action
b : unable to function properly
(C)1997, 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved

Maybe Merriam-Webster can clarify.
;P

tori wiginton said...

ok whatever but that's what I thought. what happened was that incompetent was the definition for the word I was learning in vocabulary. The word I was learning meant helpless and so I thought incompetent in turn also meant helpless.

Jamie said...

I'm laughing! that was funny. we have a station wagon and a minivan. we used to have this humongous van that was blue green and beige stripes. wierd! we were so happy to finally get a minivan. :)

tori wiginton said...

that was random. :)

Lindsay said...

When you first said it had blue green and beige stripes I'm like invisioning this multi-colored zebra. lol I guess they probably were horizontal my aunt has a silver and black striped van with little red and aqua stripes too, I think. I forget.
Minivans are definitely more sophisticated. :D
My grandpa had this ancient red van named old Rojo, and we had to borrow it a couple times when our buick was dying Anyway, it shook like crazy. I think it was deisel, and we were going somewhere in it, and it was shaking something awful, so much that it made whatever you said sound all broken up.
We had just been watching Babe. You know, the pig, and Ferdinand the goose or whatever his name was that wanted to be the rooster... So, one of Aaron's friends was with us, and they started doing that "Baa, Ram, Ewe," chant thing that Ma the sheep did in the movie. It sounded sooo like the movie. It was hilarious.

abswillis said...

Why are y'all talking about cars? Just out of curiosity. ;)

Jamie said...

cause, the name of her car is Queen Mary and my poor car doesn't have a name. :) Does ya'llses car have a name?

abswillis said...

Yeah, it does.
THE VAN.

tori wiginton said...

I never thought I'd sat this but post! :)

Jamie said...

you sat this? how interesting. i never that i would sat this either. lol. way to use correct english! sat on this would be proper. what your sitting on i don't know. anways. . .i never thought i would SAY this but lindsay, you should post. poor hermon must feel neglected. :( :)

abswillis said...

Post!