Forever and always I've been well, not looking forward to chemistry and its significant digits. Today and yesterday, Mr. Harmon (my chem. teacher) has been explaining them, and THEY MAKE PERFECT SENSE! Yay! One obstacle down.
Another exciting (and totally different) happening today was that "shake" finally clicked with my dog. It's hilarious to watch him now if I go out the door and he smells Cheerios. lol
First, he boings with excitement, then sits, then lies( Bad dog! ;) ), then waves his paw in the air, then repeats over and over again until you tell him whatever command he has to obey for the treat. The other day he got distracted by a cat and chased it down to Main Street. Bad dog for real. Now we can't really let him loose, even when we're outside, which is annoying because we don't have a fence. Instead, we keep him tethered when he's not in his kennel. Fact: tethered dogs are murderous when it comes to keep-away. The game becomes a combo of hopscotch, jumprope, catch, and tug-of-war. I have a marvelous tether burn on the back of my ankle.
The cat episode the other day inspired me with a poem.
Oh the great joy,
Of being canine,
Quite swift of paw,
And off tetherline!
Oh great distress,
Of being feline,
Plunging off birdbath,
Into prickle-mine.
Which is exactly what kitty did before streaking off towards Main. The story went on, but I didn't finish it because my inspiration strangely occured while I was studying for an algebra test...
And I won't finish it now, because I am called. :)
If you imagine it wreathed in half-solved trinomials on the back of a spare Stanford test order form, it's more impressive. lol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
43 comments:
Lindsay! you make me laugh! I wanna see you really badly. :( Are you coming to mema's and papa's house for Thanksgiving? :)
hey... this is kk!
hey kk...
this is me!
lol
I've no clue Tori.
Boohoo...
Maybe Aaron can come pick me up.
Haha. I doooon't thinka sooo.
I'm doing schoolwork ahead already so that I can. If we don't end up going it'll help me out when it comes time to go for Aaron's graduation. :)
YOU MUST COME!!!!!!!!!!! ah!
LINDS!!! YOU MUST COME!!! hahah!
hahaha. interesting poem, it made me laugh. i think i'm going to make up words next time i write a poem and see if my English teacher minds. do you like mr. harmon?
um...... just to back up kk and tori here.....
LINDS.... YOU MUST COME!
um...I'll try.
lol
I like Mr. Harmon. I can't say he's my favorite teacher, but he does make science...interesting.
I've already had him for Phy. Sci. and now Chemistry. And if there're redoing the Physics DVDs I'll have him for that next year.
He teaches at the academy too, right? Have you ever had him?
nope! i think he stopped, i'm not sure, i heard this lovely story though about the way he grades the homework a couple years ago, so it was a completion grade so he just looked to make sure something was written in, and this girl just answered the first and last question and put "I hate science" in the rest of the blanks, and he never noticed! needless to say she didn't do very well in science. that was long. oh, just to be repetitive, linds, you must come! um, if you go to your grandparents house for thanksgiving you wouldn't even be coming here, right? so why does it matter to us? i mean i'm not saying it doesn't but yah. . . that was super long.
oh i forgot, i wrote a poem! for English class (no made up words, sorry)
Haha! We don't have completion grades. He grades every single problem/question.
Very true about the Thanksgiving thing. If we do a quick trip, we won't necessarily stop in at Greenville on the way to NC. Even if we did, it probably wouldn't be on a church day. Besides, I probably won't have a sunburn, and tradition seems to dictate that I can't go to MCBC un-sunburnt, so yeah.
Noo made up words??? Que terrible.
Actually not. But some of my fav. silly poems ever are Ogden Nash's with made-up words. Like the panther one and the jellyfish one. I'm not sure if any of you all ever read those.
But. I want to see your poem. Please? Even without made-up words. lol
put the poem on here!
i think i will, but its a shape poem and i have to finish shaping it. ogden nash wroteone abot santa clause i like Jabberwocky have you read that? it's the coolest peom ever!
Jabberwocky IS the coolest poem ever. The Jumblies come in near.
Ah! Since you've read Jabberwocky! Do you say gyre and gimble with a hard g or like jyre and jimble? My brother and I had a, um, discussion about this. He got me all confused, and now I'm not sure which I think is right. lol
I made a shape poem last year, I think, but I did it as a hummingbird feeder. All the other shapes I tried didn't work too well in a hurry...
I have never read the Jabberwocky
i will type the poem as a comment, very soon. i pronouce it with a j sound. do you? Jumblies, is that a poem in a BJ literature book? there's one about little people who lived in a sieve but i can't remember it.
Jabberwocky
by Lewis Carrol
Twas brillig in the slithy toves, did gyre and gimble in the waves, all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.
Beware the Jabberwock my son!
The jaws that bite the claws that catch.
Beware the jub-jub bird and shun the frumious bandersnatch
He took his vorpal sword in hand,
long time the manxome foe he searched
So wrested he by the tum-tum tree and stood awhile in thought.
And as in uffish thought he stood The Jabberwock with eyes of flame Came wiffling through the turgey wood and burbled as it came
One, two, One, two, the vorpal blade went snickersnack, he grabbed its head and went triumphing back
And has thou slane the Jabberwock! oh come to my arms my beamish boy, oh frabous day Calooh! Calay! he chortled in his joy.
Twas brillig in the slithy toves did gyre and jimble in the waves all mimsy were the borgrothes and the mome wraths outgabe.
I just wrote that from memory. nothing was spelled write. I'll go get my poem book and make corrections,
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves . . . in the wabe. . .Jubjub bird. . .he sought. . . rested (that was dumb). . .Tumtum tree. . .whiffling. . . tulgey wood. . .
One tow! One, two! And through and through
THe vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back(i ruined that stanza). . .slain. . .there's no 'oh'. . .frabjous. . .Callooh!Callay!. . .and the slithy toves. . .wabe. . . borogroves. . .outgrabe
eek! i hadn't read that poem in forever.
it is! it is! it is! they went to sea in a sieve! I love that poem! :)
I don't understand a word of it!
ugh! goodness sake! :)
The Jabberwocky is a dragon. A father person tells his son to be careful of that and someother animals, the son goes off and hunts them, kills the jaberwocky, and his father is happy about it. the first and last stanzas just set up the mood for the poem, plus making it sound cool. :)
They went to sea in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they went to sea:
In spite of all their friends could say,
On a winter's morn, on a stormy day,
In a Sieve they went to sea!
And when the Sieve turned round and round,
And every one cried, 'You'll all be drowned!'
They called aloud, 'Our Sieve ain't big,
But we don't care a button! we don't care a fig!
In a Sieve we'll go to sea!'
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
Yeah it's in one of the BJ lits. I forget which. It's so funny. I had it memorized once, but I"ve forgotten it now.
Galumphing is probably my favorite word out of there. What a pity you forgot it. lol I don't think I could even get the first stanza-thing right!
Kaylene. You have to read Jabberwocky! Go check out Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass. It's in one of those books. They're a sort of series. When I've read them, they were actually bound into one book in two sections. Anyway, the poem's in there and it's explained. Since you didn't understand a word of it on here. :P
This is my poem, its a imitation poem, we had to imitate a poem in a literature book so that's why its about what it is, and why its a shape poem. lets see if it works!
It won't let me. I'm going to see if I can post it on bloghangout, I'll tell you if it works, and then you can see it.
it won't work! it doesn't like textboxes grouped together I guess. I'll just type it out with out the shape. oh well!
Had I the choice to be in the Olympics; to travel across the world; to have the eye of the world upon me; to vault my self in mid-air, to sprint the fastest dash and win a medal--gold, silver, bronze; Dear Father, I would gladly trade it all, to lay a crown at the Savior's feet, and see his shining face. To sing worthy with the angels cry and worship at his throne, to walk a street paved with gold, and live forever more.
That doesn't have correct punctuation, but yah. It's a lot more impressive when the whole thing is in the shape of five colored interlocking Olympic rings, which makes it much harder to read, but it looks nice. yep.
The whole thing. I love it!
They went to sea in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they went to sea:
In spite of all their friends could say,
On a winter's morn, on a stormy day,
In a Sieve they went to sea!
And when the Sieve turned round and round,
And every one cried, 'You'll all be drowned!'
They called aloud, 'Our Sieve ain't big,
But we don't care a button! we don't care a fig!
In a Sieve we'll go to sea!'
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
II
They sailed away in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they sailed so fast,
With only a beautiful pea-green veil
Tied with a riband by way of a sail,
To a small tobacco-pipe mast;
And every one said, who saw them go,
'O won't they be soon upset, you know!
For the sky is dark, and the voyage is long,
And happen what may, it's extremely wrong
In a Sieve to sail so fast!'
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
III
The water it soon came in, it did,
The water it soon came in;
So to keep them dry, they wrapped their feet
In a pinky paper all folded neat,
And they fastened it down with a pin.
And they passed the night in a crockery-jar,
And each of them said, 'How wise we are!
Though the sky be dark, and the voyage be long,
Yet we never can think we were rash or wrong,
While round in our Sieve we spin!'
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
IV
And all night long they sailed away;
And when the sun went down,
They whistled and warbled a moony song
To the echoing sound of a coppery gong,
In the shade of the mountains brown.
'O Timballo! How happy we are,
When we live in a Sieve and a crockery-jar,
And all night long in the moonlight pale,
We sail away with a pea-green sail,
In the shade of the mountains brown!'
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
V
They sailed to the Western Sea, they did,
To a land all covered with trees,
And they bought an Owl, and a useful Cart,
And a pound of Rice, and a Cranberry Tart,
And a hive of silvery Bees.
And they bought a Pig, and some green Jack-daws,
And a lovely Monkey with lollipop paws,
And forty bottles of Ring-Bo-Ree,
And no end of Stilton Cheese.
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
VI
And in twenty years they all came back,
In twenty years or more,
And every one said, 'How tall they've grown!
For they've been to the Lakes, and the Torrible Zone,
And the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
And they drank their health, and gave them a feast
Of dumplings made of beautiful yeast;
And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.
And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
I am going to have to re-memorize that.
I want to go to the hills of the Chankly Bore so badly. :D Once I had to make a tourist brochure and I didn't want to do a regular country or tourist trap, so I made it about Solla Sollew on the banks of the beautiful river Wahoo where they never have troubles...at least very few. I'm not sure which I'd rather go to. :(
Your poem's great, but I'm sure it's more magnificent in Olympic rings. Once I saw one done like a maple leaf. That was amazing.
um......
roses are red, violets are blue, monkeys belong somewhere, i guess the zoo.
YEAH, I STINK AT POEM WRITING.
that's ok, though. haha.
yeah, jamie..... i don't think we would be able to get that "The Jabberwocky is a dragon. A father person tells his son to be careful of that and someother animals, the son goes off and hunts them, kills the jaberwocky, and his father is happy about it. the first and last stanzas just set up the mood for the poem, plus making it sound cool. :)"
thing...... even if we tried to understand that poem. hahaha.
oh wow! i don't think I belong here!! lol! I hate poems.... sept the ones the tori does! lol!
interesting. be glad you don't have to do it for a grade every two weeks or so. :)
I'm confused, Jamie.. did you write that poem about "sieve"?
Hahahahaha. That's a major compliment, Jamie!
:)
no abi, that was from there literature books... right?
Well, like... jamie typed some of her poem, and then the next comment she said.... "here's the rest of it!" and I'm like.... wait... sieve has nothing to do with the olympics....
Am I making sense, kinda? Just read back through the comments.
Hey Jamie, could I email your olympics poem to some of my friends?
that's hilarious! so, so, sorry! i was finishing the poem lindsay typed a couple comments ago, sure, if you really want to. its not that good but whatever. :)
actually i love the poem too!!! it could become a forward... we should start it abi!
Oh, Abi, I meant to say while ago that Jabberwocky does make sense if you read it with an imagination. Forget vocabulary class. lol
And. Ahem. Read Alice in Wonderland and Through a Looking Glass!!! Absolutely.
Or, you might could try to do sentence diagrams for the whole poem. lol I had to do that in 9th grade. Awful. ;P
uk! you poor, poor thing! weird.
wow that's intense!
Post a Comment