Monday, September 22, 2008

Herman

I am too exhausted to tell about everything I've been doing tonight, but I want to keep track of my new project, so I need to go ahead and post while it's still new...

On Sunday afternoon I mixed up the starter for Amish Friendship bread:
1 envelope of yeast dissolved into 1/2 cup 110 degree water (Fahrenheit, obviously)
1 1/2 cups more of 110 degree water
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour

Then I poured it into a big glass jar and sealed the lid. By that night the yeast had majorly expanded, but this morning it was back down. This afternoon I stirred it, and for the next 3 days I'll stir it once a day in the afternoon. Then, on the 5th day I'll stir it and add in more flour and sugar, and then continue just stirring once a day for days 6 and 7. Then on 8 and 9, I'm supposed to leave it alone. Finally, on day 10, I can stir in more flour and stuff and use part of it for starter to make bread!

If it works I'll post pictures of what I make.
If you hear no more, assume the whole shebang flopped. :D

26 comments:

abswillis said...

haha.
Why did you call the post "herman"?

Jamie said...

why? just for the experience or cause you wanted to?

Anonymous said...

yeah why did you?

Lindsay said...

Sorry. LOL I meant to explain the Herman thing, but, like I said, I was exhausted, so I totally forgot.
Way back when, my mom tried this recipe(or another one like it...). Some of her friends from church did it too, and they would alway's be like "I have to go feed Herman." after church or whenever. Meaning they needed to go put more flour into their bread starter. Don't ask me WHY they called it Herman. But anyway. Since it's much easier to say "Herman" than "Amish Friendship Bread starter" it's become a habit.

Then, as for why I'm doing it period...
I don't know. Probably because I'm a spontaneous bath-tub science type person. Actually, I've made other yeast bread before, so I wanted to try this kind. And it's cool cause you get to grow little yeasties! My mom for some reason remembered how she used to make it, so she googled it and was just burst into my room waving a stack of recipes and admonishing me to try it. I guess that makes it a sort of school project. lol Kind of like the "Going Beyond" sections in elementary. Unnecessary fun stuff but that teaches life skills.
That was loong.
My internet has been dead all day.

Lindsay said...

ok the "was" after that my mom googled the recipe was entirely unnecessary. Don't ask why I typed that?
:D

Jamie said...

cool! my mom taught me how to make cheese bread last christmas. random. :)

abswillis said...

cheese bread?
sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

we did one on those thing once... it's really good!!

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, I want to see you! you better come to Mema and Papa's house for Thanksgiving, or I'm gonna......

that sounds really fun! you are SO RANDOM!!!! wow. ok That's the best name ever. Amish Friendship Bread starter. :)

Jamie said...

are you still on?

Jamie said...

i made brownies for french class, we had a party today. i had the jumblies refrain stuck in my head all day! I was like " i wish i could go to sea in a sieve, that would be so much better than setting in this boring class" but yah. I don't have school tomorrow! soooooo happy!

Anonymous said...

brownies... weird!

Lindsay said...

Cheese bread and brownies. Yum!
You don't have school tomorrow? What's the holiday? Or maybe it's a teacher work day or something.

I had the jumblies in my head yesterday. Amazingly it fled me today. Probably because I had a test or major quiz in every class except Bible. Concentration.

How many years have you taken French? I'm doing Spanish 3 this year, so since there isn't a Spanish 4, I'm going to take French 1 next year. Hopefully. I like French, but I already knew a little Spanish, and being in Texas that was most useful...
:)

Lindsay said...

Oh hey Kaylene! So cheese bread is cool, but brownies are weird? Do you "dislike" brownies?! Even MILK chocolate ones? My favorite are dark chocolate brownies. I made some with 70-something% cocoa that we got in a clearance basket. It was delectious....

Anonymous said...

I LOVE BROWNIES..... I HATE DARK CHOCOLATE THOUGH....... =)

Lindsay said...

Somehow I think I knew about the dark chocolate....

abswillis said...

Oh, not the dark chocolate conversation again.
I love brownies, but they can't be too rich.

Jamie said...

i love brownies! specially w/ chocolate chips in them. amazing! why is it weird? this is the first year i'm taking french, it's jessica's second though.

Jamie said...

oh, yah. SCACS, all the teachers are at Myrtle beach, for a convention thingamajig. so we get thursday&friday off!

Anonymous said...

have we had the discussion about dark chocolate already?? I don't remember it!

Jamie said...

i think we did, on tori's old blog, sometime around your birthday i think. :) now that i think of it maybe it was her birthday. i dunno

Anonymous said...

oh wow... I think I remember that!

Jamie said...

the template's adorable!

Lindsay said...

Thanks! I agree.

Anonymous said...

bye y'all!!!! I AM LEAVING!!!!

Lindsay said...

Leaving where? Greenville, or my blog? :)